Friday, February 28, 2020

Master Gardener

Spring is a time of renewal, new birth, new growth and I love flowers, so when I see the daffodils coming up, I know that spring is on it's way and I get excited. It's usually time to start trimming back various flowers and trees that are growing around my yard. Yet, I am reminded of John's gospel.

In Chapter 15 Jesus tells us
Lectio:
“I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser. Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit. Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you. Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned. If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. 
Meditatio: There are times in our lives when God prunes us. He prunes us so that we may grow into what He wants us to be. Pruning isn't easy; matter of fact, sometimes it's downright painful. God only prunes us in ways that He knows will draw us closer to Him, and so that we bear more fruit. God prunes us to reassure us of our salvation. Maybe He prunes us so that He is more free to answer our prayers. Finally I think God prunes us so that we will glorify Him.

Oratio: Father, it is not in our nature to submit to your pruning, but if we are truly to grow into the people that you are wanting us to be, I will humbly submit to your pruning. Less of me, Lord, more of you.

Contemplatio: Is God pruning you? What areas do you need to submit to Him that He may prune you to His will?

No comments:

Post a Comment