Wednesday, February 26, 2020

To do justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God

The other night I sat down to watch an episode of Touched by an Angel. The episode was about an archeologist who was bent on finding the Ark of the Covenant that he would stop at nothing to find it; not even when he was faced with an angel telling him "Stop! This is holy ground!"

What stuck out to me in the episode was when the archeologist told Monica that he had to find the ark and Monica told him "The only thing you have to do is 'Do justice, love mercy and walk humbly with God.'" I have always loved the premise of the show that God brings angels into our lives that keep us from harming ourselves or even that just want to pass along the message that God loves us. You wan to see me cry? I mean UGLY CRY? Turn on Touched by an Angel and let me hear "God loves you."

This week, God has had me in Micah 6:8 He hath shown thee, O man, what is good: And what doth the Lord require of thee but to do justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? (KJV). Now I realize a lot of people don't like Eugene Peterson's The Message, however, I really love how easy it makes Micah 6:8 read. "But he's already made it plain how to live, what to do, what God is looking for in men and women. It's quite simple; Do what is fair and just to your neighbor, be compassionate and loyal in your love, and don't take yourself too seriously--take God seriously.

Read (Lectio): He hath shown thee, O man, what is good: And what doth the Lord require of thee but to do justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? What sticks out to you? During this time listen for words that really sticks out to you. I am really drawn to the "do justice, love mercy, and walk humbly."

Meditate (Meditatio): What does it mean to do justice, love mercy and walk humbly? Really mull over what God is saying to you. Be careful not to fall into study mode, don't analyze what God is saying to you. Rather think about what you believe God is telling you.

Pray (Oratio): Now it is time to respond to God. What is He calling you to do? I like to journal during this time. I am prone to forget what I have already learned, but when I journal, I am able to note what version of the Bible I used, did I continue to study other verses to help me understand. You can also respond in prayer. It offers you a chance to have a conversation with God. "Father teach me what it means to do justice, what it means to love mercy and to walk humbly."

Rest (Comtemplatio): Rest in what God is showing you. This isn't a time of prayer or meditation. It's a time to just sit quietly and let God work. Allow Him to really show you what he is saying to him.


Tonight: I did my lectio divina. I was drawn to "do justice, love mercy, and walk humbly." I used the Complete Jewish Bible, Common English Bible, The Message, English Standard Version. My meditation was "God what exactly are you calling me to do?"

From my journal: These are basic building blocks of how Christians are to live their lives. They are the basic tenants of how you as a Christian are to live your life they are what God means when He says be holy as I am holy. They are the foundation of righteousness.

Rest/Action: God calls us to action. So the action here is to continue to grow in righteousness.


No comments:

Post a Comment