Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Green with Envy

Lectio: 1 Corinthians 13:4 Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant

Meditatio: Recently someone sold a house and purchased a house with 5 acres of land. I was envious of their blessings of getting a house. I mean they already had a house, and this was a nicer house than mine and my envy was rooted in the hurt that this person had caused in my life. I mean after all, why would I want God to bless those who had hurt me so fiercely? Especially when I don't feel like I am being blessed. I am going to reference Richard Pratt again today. He states 
One may admire another for something that person is or has, and he may desire many of the same good things for himself. Jealousy and envy begin when admiration and desire turn to resentment of others for what they have. They are the attitudinal roots of many terrible actions in the world. The Bible illustrates this time and again. To envy is not to display the love of Christ, who gave up all for the sake of others (Phil. 2:3–8).
Oratio: God, I come to ask that you will help me to give up envy, jealousy, and help me to see these things as what they are: Human weaknesses. Heal my heart so that I may not envy those who have what I think I deserve and help me to realize that the blessings others are experiencing do not compare to the heavenly blessings you will bestow later. In Jesus Name, Amen

Contemplatio: Do you envy things that others have? What would your life be like if you realize that those who are receiving blessings today may not be storing up treasures in Heaven?

No comments:

Post a Comment