Sunday, March 15, 2020

Love is Long-Suffering

Lectio: Love is patient...1 Corinthians 13:4a

Meditatio: I went back to 1 Corinthians because I felt that God wasn't done teaching me from this chapter. I notice that love is patient. Or as Young's Literal Translation puts it, Love is long-suffering. It is willing to go the distance for someone else. When I thought of patience, a story of George Muller was brought to mind.
One day George Muller began praying for five of his friends. After many months, one of them came to the Lord. Ten years later, two others were converted. It took 25 years before the fourth man was saved. Muller persevered in prayer until his death for the fifth friend, and throughout those 52 years he never gave up hoping that he would accept Christ! His faith was rewarded, for soon after Muller's funeral the fifth friend was saved.
George Muller knew a lot about the long-suffering, patient love that would cause a person to pray for 52 years for someone to come to know Christ.

I have been praying for only 7 years for a friend to forgive me and for God to work out her salvation. A lot of people think that my prayers are futile and that nothing will ever come of the friendship. However, I also want to imitate Christ, who prayed fervently for His friends. I want to follow the example of men such as George Muller, and pray until something happens.

Oratio: Father, Hear our prayers, may they be reflective of your will. Do not allow us to pray anything but your will be done and help us to delight in your will, so that you may give us the desires of our hearts. Amen

Contemplatio: How are you showing patience and love? Are you praying for someone who needs prayer?

No comments:

Post a Comment