Monday, March 2, 2020

Violence and Injustice

I have read the Bible through several times. I don't think I have ever spent much time reading over Habakkuk; but this weekend someone said something about Israel.

Lectio: 

O Lord, how long shall I cry for help, and you will not hear? Or cry to you “Violence!” and you will not save? Why do you make me see iniquity, and why do you idly look at wrong? Destruction and violence are before me; strife and contention arise. So the law is paralyzed, and justice never goes forth. For the wicked surround the righteous; so justice goes forth perverted.

Meditatio: Early this weekend someone said they are not sure about modern Israel being a fulfillment of prophecy since it was founded in violence. So was ancient Israel; even the gospel of Matthew (11:12) says that the Kingdom of God is coming violently.
Yet Habakkuk is seeing an injustice and even more violence. He's seeing the world coming against God's people and he's asking for God's Help. I look at Habakkuk and know it is okay to cry out to God and ask questions of Him. I am reminded today of my life with a former friend and how unfair it seems that God is blessing her even in her wickedness. And I stand here and cry out for justice.

Oratio: Father, help me to see that while it seems the wicked are being blessed, that I need only trust you. 

Contemplatio: Where do you see violence and injustice? What questions do you ask God for help?

No comments:

Post a Comment